Why RADIO DIAL?
Because on long car trips, Stuart scours the radio waves for interesting music, and wanted to bring a similarly eclectic presentation to the stage (think Stuart McLean’s Vinyl Café, with the speaking and musical proportions reversed). It helps that he sings and plays a dozen instruments, and that he injects his contagious enthusiasm into a kaleidoscopic amalgam of early Broadway, blues and roots, 60’s pop instrumental hits, B.B. King guitar, Moe Koffman flute, Celtic pennywhistles, Chet Baker’s jazz trumpet, rockabilly, country and folk, and his own songs about Canada.
RADIO DIAL features some or all of the following:
- Rebecca Campbell (Jane Siberry, Fat Man Waving, Porkbelly Futures) vocals, percussion, guitar
- Martin Worthy (Porkbelly Futures/Joe Hall) – Drums, resonator guitar, vocals
- Burke Carroll (Murray McLaughlan/Justin Rutledge) – pedal steel guitar and Dobro
- Steve Lucas (Bruce Cockburn/guest with Levon Helm Band in Woodstock) – Bass
- Jim Clayton (Clayton – Scott Group/Second City) or Jeff McLeod – Keyboards and Accordion
“Laughton’s renditions of the classic trumpet favourites are as fine as any in the record catalogue.”
Classical Music Magazine (CD Review)